College of Engineering Scholarship - Glen D. Chambers
Born premature, warmed in his mother’s oven and not expected to survive, Glen Delyn Chambers began his life in Minatare, Nebraska, on Sept. 13, 1919.
He graduated from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln with a degree in mechanical engineering.
Drafted into the Army during World War II, he was responsible for maintaining heavy ordinance in Europe. He’d humorously recount how battle tanks were mounted with parabolic mirrors and powerful arc lamps. The tanks were to line up, turn on their lights and blind the enemy — this tactic was quickly abandoned.
After the war, he came to Alaska to work for Lomen (now Yukon) Equipment in 1946 in the parts department. He retired in 1990 as chairman.
He married Esther Lackmann in 1947 at the First Presbyterian Church, where he was an active member until his death.
He lived by “The Four-Way Test” of Rotary: First, Is it the truth? Second, Is it fair to all concerned? Third, Will it build goodwill and better friendships? Fourth, Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
He was a member and often on the board of many organizations, including the American Legion, Anchorage Chamber of Commerce, Anchorage Museum, Commonwealth North, Cook Inlet Historical Society, Downtown Rotary Club, Elks, Petroleum Club, Resource Development Council, Salvation Army, SCORE and World Affairs Council. He was chair of the Anchorage Port Commission. He was also a “Hard Hat” recipient of the Associated General Contractors of Alaska. As a member of the Alaska Miners Association, he toured Canada diamond mines and the Russian Far East gold fields.
Mr. Chambers passed away in 2012.