A. D. 'Al' and Maxine Robertson Memorial Scholarship
Alan D. ‘Al’ Robertson, originally from Scotland, and his wife Maxine met in Hyder, AK where Maxine taught school. They married in 1936 and moved to Ketchikan, AK. Four years later they together opened the first flower shop in Ketchikan called “Al Robertson Florist.”
They cared about, and gave much to, the community of Ketchikan. As well as being employed within their community, Al with the First National Bank of Ketchikan and Maxine for the State of Alaska Employment Office, they served on various boards such as the University of Alaska Board of Regents, Association of Alaska School Boards, Alaska Board of Education, Ketchikan School Board, Pioneer Home Advisory Board, Hospital Governing Board, and Community College Advisory Board.
Al passed away while serving on the UA Board of Regents. The Robertson Building on the Ketchikan campus is named for him.
The A.D. ‘Al’ and Maxine Robertson Memorial Scholarship was established in the spirit of Al’s and Maxine’s ideals and dedication for a student judged to demonstrate dignity of character, to have a sense of humor, who gets along well with fellow workers, and who shows a sincere feeling of service to humanity. The Robertson’s sincere interest in students and their concern for their future professional careers exemplifies their high ideals as a true Alaskan pioneers and servant of the people of Alaska.